This macaroni and cheese with chipotle takes advantage of the unique mexican taste of chipotle chiles; you can find cans of chipotles in adobo at latin products stores or at the mexican section of your supermarket...
* 1 lb. macaroni elbows
* 2 chipotle peppers from a chipotle in adobo can, chopped
* 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce from the can
* 1.5 lbs. lean ground beef half
* 1 green pepper, chopped
* 1 red pepper, chopped
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 cans of sliced mushrooms, drained
* 1 cup half-half cream
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 lb. Orange Cheddar cheese, grated
* 2 branches fresh cilantro leaves, washed and chopped
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* Salt pepper to taste
1) Drain the mushrooms in a strainer leaving it in to drain for a good 10 minutes.
2) Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil in your favorite skillet, then add the canned mushrooms and cook until they start to brown (about 2-3 minutes); add the chopped onion and the ground beef then cook everything until the meat is starting to brown; breaking up the ground beef as you cook it.
3) Add the chopped peppers, the diced tomatoes, the chopped cilantro, the adobo sauce, the chopped chipotle peppers and the teaspoon paprika to the skillet and mix; cook with the meat until all the ingredients are completely cooked.
4) Boil some water in a big pot and cook the macaroni pasta in it, following package instructions; drain and rinse with cold running water.
5) Meanwhile, mix the grated cheese with the contents from the skillet. When the cheese has melted, pour in the cream and gently mix. Mix the cornstarch in the milk making sure there are no lumps then pour in the skillet. Again, gently mix and simmer until desired consistency is reached: add more milk if too thick, more cornstarch if too liquid.
6) Pour the pasta in the skillet and gently mix with the meat and the other ingredients. When the macaroni pasta is well coated with the cheese/chipotle sauce, your macaroni and cheese is ready...