This macaroni and four cheeses recipe will be a kids favorite for its focus on the main ingredient: cheese! Of course I added a few vegetables to help with the nutrition side of this dish, and they can be skipped if you will be serving this to a person who doesn't like mushrooms or onions.
* 1 lb. Gemelli, Fusilli, Rotini or Macaroni elbows
* 1 lb. Ball of Mozzarella
* 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
* 1/4 cup of grated swiss cheese
* 1/4 cup of diced white sharp cheddar cheese
* 2 cups half-half Cream
* 1 lb. Mushrooms of your favorite type, sliced
* 1 Onion, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic
* More grated sharp cheddar cheese for the baking step
* 1 Tablespoon Flour
* 2 Tablespoons butter
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* salt, pepper
1) In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook your macaroni or pasta for the time indicated on the package and cook them until they are al dente; rinse well and reserve.
2) In a large skillet, melt the butter, press in one clove garlic then brown the sliced mushrooms until they are very well browned but not burned, season them with pepper, reserve. In the same skillet cook thoroughly the onion and reserve separately.
3) Using your favorite skillet, we melt the cheeses: stir in the mozzarella (or mascarpone), Swiss cheese, diced sharp Cheddar cheese and grated parmesan. Press in the other garlic clove.
4) Add the two cups of cream, sifted flour, grated nutmeg, pepper, and season with salt and pepper if desired; mix until the cheese sauce is smooth. Mix in the onions.
5) Pour the four cheeses sauce in the baking pan you will use to bake your macaroni an cheese. Pour the cooked macaroni (cooked and drained) in and half the mushrooms, mixing everything gently with the four cheeses sauce and mix with all of the mixture (if needed add more cream).
6) Arrange the remaining mushrooms on top of the baking dish, over this sprinkle the extra grated cheese evenly, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then switch to broil setting and broil your macaroni and four cheeses until the top cheese has become an appealing grated cheese crust.
Pull out of the oven and serve this macaroni and four cheeses immediately...