This macaroni and cheese recipe makes a baked pasta dish with enough food for about 8 servings and comes out pretty much like a lasagna... only its a baked macaroni and cheese with a touch of class!
* 1 can sliced mushrooms, thoroughly drained, or 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
* 2 cans whole tomatoes (28 oz.). mashed with a potato masher
* 1 can (5.5 oz.) tomato paste
* 1/2 cup red wine
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano (10ml)
* Salt and pepper
* 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
* 1 pinch of dried chilli flakes strong
* 1 onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb. grated fresh mozzarella
* 2 tablespoon italian flavored breadcrumbs
* 4 cups macaroni elbows
* 1 tablespoon Butter
* 1 tablespoon Oil
1) Fry the mushrooms in oil and butter for 1 minute, then add the chopped onion and the garlic; fry everything until the mushrooms begin to brown.
2) Add salt and pepper, deglaze with red wine and add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, oregano and cook gently 30 minutes.
3) Cook the macaroni to al dente, then drain and gently mix with the sauce, stir and put half the macaroni in a large dish, place half the mozzarella, cover with the remaining pasta and top with grated mozzarella, pepper and the italian breadcrumbs.
4) Place in preheated oven at 350 ˚F for 30 minutes, remove from oven and let rest a few minutes, then serve this macaroni and cheese with tomatoes...