Tasty comfort food... this is what this macaroni and cheese recipe is all about, obviously! This recipe is still very easy to make while using real ingredients makes a much richer and better tasting meal than with the industrial boxed preparations... Serve with hot pepper sauce; it goes well with this recipe.
* 1 lb. uncooked macaroni pasta (or any other short pasta you prefer)
* 1 small onion, finely diced
* 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 tablespoons white flour
* 3 cups milk
* 1 pound grated cheddar cheese
* 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
* 1 teaspoon grated ground black pepper
* 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh parsley chopped finely
* 1 pack jumbo hot dog sausages, chopped
If your macaroni and cheese will be served to young children, make sure you chop your sausages to very small cubes to avoid any risk of choking; cook your sausages in a bit of oil;
reserve the sausages for later.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Cook your pasta following package instructions. Drain well, but do not rinse.
Meanwhile, in a skillet under medium heat, cook the onion in the oil for about 5 min or until it softens.
Throw in the flour and cook during 1 min, by moving.
Pull away from the heat and allow to cool down for 2 minutes, then incorporate progressively 1 cup of milk.
Once the cup of milk is in, put back on the stove and add the rest of the milk.
Cook for 5-10 min, stirring occasionaly, until the sauce tickens.
Add the grated cheese, the mustard and the Worcestershire; stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted.
Add pasta and sausages to the sauce; pour the whole thing in an oven-going pan.
Sprinkle some more cheese on top and bake in the oven for around 30 min.
Enjoy your meal!