* 1 lb. dry macaroni pasta; can be replaced by any type of short pasta
* 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
* 1 cup grated orange cheddar
* 1 cup garted parmesan
* 1 lb. Italian sausage; adjust spiciness by choosing between mild or strong types
* 1 can diced tomatoes
* 1 can (5.5 oz.) italian tomato paste
* 1/4 cup of ketchup
* 1 regular sized onion, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves
* 1 teaspoon of basil
* 2 teaspoons of oregano
* freshly ground black pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* A pinch hot chilli flakes (optional)
1. Cook the macaroni or your pasta as per package instructions; reserve for later. Remove the skin from Italian sausages.
In a saucepan, cook them in oil to under mild heat; break them up in small chunks as you cook them.
At the same time, mix in the onion and the garlic; cook for about 5 minutes, or until the meat gets browned.
2. Stir in the diced tomatoes with the liquid, add the tomato paste,the ketchup, oregano, basil and chilli flakes.
Mix and simmer this sauce about 30 minutes, or until the sauce reduces. Gradually mix in the cheeses and toss to melt them,
reserving some grated mozzarella to sprinkle on the top layer.
3. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Put the cooked pasta in an oven-going lasagna pan and pour the sauce mixture over it; mix.
Sprinkle the top layer with mozzarella cheese, to cover everything evenly.